Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ross and Mamie Frazier, Founders of Frazier Estates





By Arnett Howard


I wish that I knew more about the founders of our community, Ross and Mamie Frazier. The Frazier Community was founded in 1958 on the farm that was owned by the Fraziers, who wanted to retire and they sold their thirty acre truck farm in one acre plots, beginning in 1955 through Hillman Realty in Dayton, OH..

Our Howard Family home was completed in November, 1959 and it was very soon that I started to go to Allen Chapel A.M.E. Church, in Marysville, Ohio, with Mr. Frazier. He had a 1953 Studebaker Starliner, a pretty sporty car for a fellow in his seventies. He had two barns behind the family home and we used to play in the barn’s hay loft.

Mamie Frazier was a lovely woman, she liked us kids. Ross was a small man and his voice is very clear in my mind, but I have not much to draw on, since I was eleven when I last saw them. I can just slightly remember sitting in their home, by a fireplace.

The home was built by a man named Weldon, a White fellow who had the home built for a bride that never arrived. There is a Weldon Road located a mile east of when the Weldon/Frazier home is. When the Fraziers moved into their home is unknown.

Mr. Frazier used to truck his produce, chicken and turkeys to Columbus to the Central Market, south of Downtown and the East Market, located on Mt. Vernon Ave. I have been told about their children, Jack, Barbara, Edith and Artist, who were all graduates of Tuskegee University in Alabama. Artist was a tremendous athlete who lost his life in an auto accident.

It was likely 1962 when the Fraziers moved to Columbus and into obscurity. K.P. Williamson’s family bought and moved into the farmhouse. K.P.’s father, A.D. Williamson, had helped Mr. Frazier develop the neighborhood. So next week I’ll see K.P. Williamson and he’ll fill me in on Mr. Frazier.

No comments: